Thursday, June 6, 2024

Struggling to Lead Others? Try this out!

 As we grow up hearing about the success stories of leaders on TV and social media, it gives us the impression that leadership is all about having Control. We see charismatic personalities that have amassed billions with their contributions to their industries. That is what gives us the idea that those who lead are aggressive and intelligent go-getters that can come up with the best ideas. However, I learned that this wasn’t the case in the book, Emotional Intelligence for the Modern Leader written by Christopher D. Connors. The book has an emphasis on the followers that make up the leader’s team. A term that really stood out to me in its first 2 chapters was called Servant Leadership


It is a concept where the leader focuses on the growth of their followers and meeting their basic needs within their organization. It requires an unconditional desire for them to be successful. To be a servant leader, one must have Empathy. The book defines that as “the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing” as if you’re in their position. It helps you build relationships and understand the concerns that your followers may have. Showing them that you care is what will make you a successful leader


From my own experiences, I used to be a ‘my way or the highway’ type of leader. I liked to create ideas for projects, yet I knew I could not fully realize them on my own. I needed help from others. When I would have a team, I would run into the same problem with every team. I would have team members procrastinate on work and it felt like I was the only one passionate about the project. This was because I never checked in with how they were feeling and what ideas they had. As much as I hate to admit it, but in my head they were just extra pairs of hands for building my project. I never thought of them as brilliant minds waiting for an opportunity to shine. If I did not put my idea first, I could have had more passion from my teammates. 


If you find yourself leading in college or in the workforce, make sure you are thinking about how they are perceiving their work. If you take just a little time to check in on them, it can go a long way in motivating them for the long-term.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Leaders Can Improve Their Work Environment

  When we think of projects, most of us young folks think of group assignments in school. What pushes us to get the work done are the deadli...