Saturday, February 12, 2022

Post 6: EOTO

 The EOTO (Each One Teach One) assignment was an opportunity to learn about a lot of technology and their origins. I am a Game and Interactive Media Design major so I have a lot of experience with video games. I have been fascinated with its history for years and the EOTO taught me something I didn't know. The general consensus for the 1st video game ever made has fluctuated over the years. First, it was Pong, an two-player table tennis type game released in arcades in 1972. This was believed because of its commercial success. Until the presentation, I believed it was a game called Space War that was created on computers by MIT students in 1962. It didn't make it to the market. It turns out that the first game was Table Tennis for Two, a home computer game from 1958. It was surprising to hear about this hardware that predates those other two games but was the most accessible being released as a system playable at home. Yet another game from the 1st Generation. There is a lot of history in the Video Game Industry to learn about. It seems like we are constantly uncovering new information about game development, obscure hardware, and the people involved. I remember in my freshmen year, I was doing a research assignment on Nintendo history. Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was a very influential game that released alongside the system. The game has its copyright year in the game marked as 1985. I always had the assumption that this is when our region got the game. After further research, I would learn that it would take until 1987 before it would hit the mainstream market. This was because it was a game made in Japan and the localization process was slow to get systems out in most areas. It's difficult to gauge what an era in time was like from before you were born, so it's always better to do more research rather than make assumptions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How Leaders Can Improve Their Work Environment

  When we think of projects, most of us young folks think of group assignments in school. What pushes us to get the work done are the deadli...