Thursday, January 13, 2022

Post 1: My Top 5 Sources of Gaming News


With my interests in video games, I'm constantly looking for information on new games, wondering what the largest companies are doing in the industry, and what game development stories I could learn from. I don't use many social media platforms so I often rely on YouTube to get information. I frequently use Discord to socialize and I often talk with the people within my Game Design major.

1. Spawn Wave: This is a channel run by Jonathan Downey who does news videos on companies like Nintendo and Sony, checks out software and hardware, and keeps viewers posted on the opinions of the consumers. https://www.youtube.com/c/SpawnWave

2: IGN: IGN is a news website that reviews games and posts any new trailers for games that they can find. If you aren't already subscribed to a game company's channel, they will upload any of their trailers shortly after they have been uploaded. Their game reviews do get a lot of flack online, but they inform me on what games are about so I can make the decision if I want to get them. https://www.youtube.com/c/IGN

3: GDC (Game Developers Conference): This conference is held a few times a year and many companies have game developers create presentations about certain aspects of game design. These can be about audio systems that were programmed, studying player behavior, where to go for publishing, etc. As an aspiring game developer myself, there is a lot that I've learned from these that I plan to use in my projects. https://www.youtube.com/c/Gdconf 

4: Friends on Discord: My friends will often link videos to new game trailers or just discuss some of the happenings in the industry. It's more communal, and they know how to get my attention when it is something I'm interested in. 

5. My peers in Game Design: Oftentimes, new information gets to my classmates and professors first. Just like with Discord, these are conversation points that lead to interesting discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Leaders Can Improve Their Work Environment

  When we think of projects, most of us young folks think of group assignments in school. What pushes us to get the work done are the deadli...